- Michigan State held Boise State without an offensive touchdown for the first time since the Broncos were shut out by Washington State, 58-0, on Sept. 27, 1997. The 13 points marked the Broncos’ second-lowest point total under Chris Petersen (10 vs. Washington in 2007).
- Michigan State held Boise State to 37 yards rushing and 206 yards of total offense, the lowest in the Petersen era. Michigan State running back had more rushing yards (210) on his own than Boise had total.
- Michigan State has won 16 of its last 17 home-openers, including 14 straight. The Spartans are also now 8-4 in primetime games at Spartan Stadium. Four of those eight wins have come against ranked opponents (No. 19 Southern Cal in 1987, No. 10 Notre Dame in 1998, No. 4 Wisconsin in 2011 and No. 24 Boise State in 2012).
- Le’Veon Bell set career highs for rushing attempts (44), rushing yards (210), receptions (6), receiving yards (55) and all-purpose yards (265). His 210 yards are tied for 23rd-best in school history … He was the first Spartan to run for more than 200 yards since Javon Ringer gained 201 against Notre Dame in 2008 … It was Bell’s seventh multi-touchdown game. He has scored two rushing touchdowns in each of the last three season-openers.
- Dion Sims recorded career-highs in receptions (7) and receiving yards (65).
- Senior guard Chris McDonald was Michigan State’s game-day captain while former linebacker Eric Gordon was the honorary captain.
- Former basketball star Draymond Green was honored in between the first and second quarters and was given his trophy for winning the Jesse Owens Award, given to the Big Ten’s top male athlete. Green, who was joined by basketball coach Tom Izzo and athletic director Mark Hollis, was selected in the second round by the Golden State Warriors.
The Detroit News aims to provide a forum that fosters smart, civil discussions on the news and events that we cover. The News will not condone personal attacks, off topic posts or brutish language on our site. If you find a comment that you believe violates these standards, please click the "X" in the upper right corner of the post to report it.