The Belle Isle Conservancy, in partnership with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR), is offering Belle Isle Summer Saturdays (BLISS) for the second year. The program, launched last month, offers visitors yoga classes, painting lessons, kayaking, and more.
Charter One is providing 500 participants free Belle Isle Season Passes, to those who register at the Information Table, located at the Belle Isle Aquarium on BLISS days from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
This year’s BLISS days will occur on the third Saturday of every summer month – July 19, August 16, and September 20, and features the following activities:
- Yoga from 10:30-11:30 a.m.: July 19 @ Sunset Pointe, August 16 and Sept. 20 @ the Conservatory Gardens. The first 50 participants each month receive FREE Recreation Passports, compliments of Kind Snack Bars
- Food Concessions from10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at various locations. Pricing based on vendor.
- Family-friendly Painting Lessons from 11 a.m. – 1p.m. at the Flynn Pavilion by Paint and Pour for $25
- Kayaking @ the Beach from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.: By Detroit River Sports. Fees: $15/hour single, $20/hr tandem
The 2014 BLISS season has been revamped with new signature events. See the lineup below:
- July 19: Hustle @BLISS – Come by for free hustle and ballroom dance lessons from a variety of Detroit-based instructors at Paddock 1 (located by the Belle Isle Casino)
- August 16: Happy 110 Birthday Belle Isle Aquarium and Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory! – Come to the Belle Isle Aquarium and Conservatory and participate in the various activities, arts n’ crafts, and goodies!
- September 20: Belle Isle Biergarten – The BLISS season will culminate with a beer garden, presented by the Belle Isle Conservancy’s Emerging Patrons Council.
“We are very excited to be able to announce these additions,” says Michele Hodges, President, Belle Isle Conservancy. “The activities and free season passes will provide our visitors with the programming they’ve been asking for.”
Aside from the vast BLISS programming, the Belle Isle Aquarium, is now open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Scott Fountain runs from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day through Labor Day, and the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory is open from Wednesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For full details, go to: www.belleisleconservancy.org