Michigan now permits the sale of “real” fireworks to anyone. Adults used to have to drive to Ohio to get them but now makeshift stores are popping up everywhere. Fireworks are exciting and fun but are risky too. Here are some facts to keep keep your children safe as they enjoy the season.
Sparklers can achieve temperatures up to 2,000 degrees so make sure children are supervised and put them down in a safe way after use.
Only adults should light fireworks. I know it’s tempting to let your middle schooler or young high school-aged child have the thrill of lighting the firework, but it just isn’t safe.
When lighting a firework, never have part of your body over it. Lean away, light the fuse and quickly move back a safe distance.
If the firework doesn’t go off, leave it for 15 minutes or more before approaching it. Move to another area to light the next one.
Have a bucket of water or the hose on and be ready to douse an errant firework, put out any small fires the sparks set off or to throw on a person if he gets burned.
Avoid fireworks packaged in brown paper. These are typically professional grade and are very risky to set off for an amateur at home.
Douse all spent fireworks in water before throwing them away.
Light fireworks one at a time and never inside something else like a bottle or jar. The explosion can cause shards to be spewed over a large area and injure a spectator.
Make sure the area where you are lighting your fireworks is clear of obstacles like trees or buildings. Fireworks hitting these can move in unpredictable ways and injure you or your family.
Children and adults enjoy the fun of fireworks. Avoid the ER and keep your family safe by following these guidelines and you’ll enjoy it even more.