National Politics

Michelle Obama is out of touch

AP photo

AP photo

A post by The Washington Examiner’s Charlie Spiering this week gives a glimpse about how clueless Michelle Obama can sometimes be.

The first lady apparently has compared living in the White House to living in “a really nice prison.” Obviously, Mrs. Obama was not actually comparing being married to the leader of the free world to being incarcerated, but the comment is still worth noting.

Does she mean that it’s a bit annoying to be driven around by a caravan of plush black town cars? (Gosh darnit, can’t a girl just hail a cab when she wants?) Does she mean she can’t romp around the White House grounds at any time she pleases?

The comparison was not a good one, especially because Michelle Obama has always seemed to make it a priority to help keep the American people – especially children – healthy and happy. Her personal campaigns have all been about living good, healthy lives. And yet, when it comes time to talk about what it’s like to live in the White House, the first thing she says is that it’s like a prison? Not your best, Michelle.

Many Americans are incarcerated and some of them are spending time in prison after being wrongly convicted. They wouldn’t appreciate Obama’s joke and also probably wouldn’t mind having her visit and compare the prison meal plan to her organic, locally-sourced, private-chef-prepared diet.

The First Lady could have used the interview (which she did with former first lady Laura Bush) to talk about anything. Instead, she made a bad joke that makes her look ungrateful and, worse, unaware of the world around her.

Maria Servold
Maria Servold is the Assistant Director of the Dow Journalism Program at Hillsdale College, where she teaches journalism and advises the student newspaper. She is a freelance writer for several Michigan publications.