National Politics

Maria Servold: No tailgating at the Super Bowl?

A tailgating ban at Super Bowl 48 has not gone over well.

Several news stories circulating around the Internet Tuesday told this sad story: there won’t be any tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII this coming February.

The MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, where both the New York Jets and the New York Giants play, doesn’t have very many parking spaces (for a football stadium) and so many Super Bowl-goers will arrive at the stadium via public transportation, according to an article in USA Today.

Officials who made the no-tailgating announcement said game attendees who drive to the game can eat and drink within their individual parking spaces, which seems to indicate there will be eating and drinking inside cars, instead of outside and between them.

The Washington Post reports lawn chairs, grills, and other standard tailgating implements won’t be allowed, as they would extend beyond a single parking space.

This is an interesting edict that will probably upset some fans, but I’m sure it was made for logistical reasons. That being said, it’s a little pathetic that one of the staples of American sports enjoyment won’t take place on, arguably, one of the most American sports days of the year. While I wouldn’t want to stand outside drinking beer for hours on end in February, northern in New Jersey (where it is likely to be quite chilly), I’m sure there are people who would and who spend big bucks on a Super Bowl ticket with tailgating in mind.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how much backlash from fans the officials at MetLife Stadium incur.

Maria Servold
Maria Servold is the Assistant Director of the Dow Journalism Program at Hillsdale College, where she teaches journalism and advises the student newspaper. She is a freelance writer for several Michigan publications.