Last week it was Kendrick Lamar, this week it’s Meek Mill. One of these days rappers will learn to not go up against Taylor Swift.
Swift’s “Red” holds at No. 1 on this week’s Billboard 200, selling an additional 344,000 copies its second week in stores, according to Nielsen SoundScan. No big deal, with 1.5 million copies sold, the album is already the second biggest seller of the year. No. 1? Adele’s “21,” of course, which has sold 4.1 million copies this year. Go home, everyone not named Taylor or Adele.
Maybach Music Group’s Meek Mill sold 165,000 copies of his debut set “Dreams & Nightmares,” good enough for a No. 2 start. Rod Stewart’s Christmas set, Jason Aldean and Kendrick Lamar round out the top five.
Next week, new albums from Ne-Yo and Aerosmith hit the chart, as well as the latest Now! collection. This one’s got Maroon 5 AND Flo Rida on it! Oh boy!
Billboard’s Top 10 albums (sales in parentheses, figures according to Nielsen SoundScan)
1. Taylor Swift, Red (344,000)
2. Meek Mill, Dreams & Nightmares (165,000)
3. Rod Stewart, Merry Christmas, Baby (88,000)
4. Jason Aldean, Night Train (71,000)
5. Kendrick Lamar, Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City (63,000)
6. Toby Keith, Hope on the Rocks (48,000)
7. Mumford and Sons, Babel (44,000)
8. Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Psychedelic Pill (34,000)
9. Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Dreams of Fireflies (On a Christmas Night) (32,000)
10. Little Big Town, Tornado (29,000)