Recipe from Gourmet
- 3/4 cup Asian black rice (also called forbidden rice)
- 11/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato (12 to 14 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Garnish: chopped scallion greens
Rinse rice in a sieve under cold water. Bring rice, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to low and cook rice, covered, until tender and most of water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Let rice stand, covered, off heat 10 minutes.
While rice cooks, heat oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté scallions, ginger and sweet potato, stirring, until coated well, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate and add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste, then cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until potato is just tender, about 12 minutes. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Serves 4.