1. In a medium soup pot, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and saute until golden brown, making sure the mixture does not burn, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro, and saute another minute. Add the tomatoes and cumin, and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add the broth. Remove from the heat and puree until smooth in the pot using a hand blender.
2. Return the soup to the heat. Add the zucchini and carrot, and simmer, partially covered, over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally or until it is slightly thickened and the vegetables are tender. Taste for seasoning.
3. While the soup is cooking, prepare the toppings. To toast the tortilla strips, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet, spread them evenly over the pan. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until crisp and beginning to brown. Reserve for the garnish.
4. Place the chili in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and toast for about 2 minutes on a side or until it is fragrant and puffed but not burnt. Remove the stem and the seeds; crush the chili in a mortar or with the side of a heavy knife and reserve for the garnish.
5. To serve: Ladle evenly into each bowl. Squirt some limejuice over the soup. Garnish with the toasted tortilla strips, crushed chili, cilantro, avocado and cheese. Serve immediately.