Recipe from Bon Appetit. Brush over pork ribs during the last few minutes of grilling or combine with ground turkey for burgers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped white onions
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong coffee or 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 cup hot water
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño; sauté until onions are tender, about 7 minutes. Add brown sugar, chili powder, molasses, cilantro, and cumin; stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in crushed tomatoes with puree, broth, and coffee; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until sauce thickens slightly and is reduced to 4 cups, stirring often, about 35 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper: Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill. Makes 4 cups or 32 servings.