- Meat and crispy skin reserved from a 5-7 pound roasted chicken, chopped or shredded into bite-sized pieces (use your favorite recipe or buy precooked rotisserie chicken)
- 11-12 cups chicken stock (use your favorite recipe, or see note below)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, unpeeled and chopped
- 6 large stalks celery, including leaves, chopped
- 2-3 cubes (or to taste) vegetable bouillon
- 2-3 cubes (or to taste) chicken bouillon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Homemade noodles (recipe follows)
Pour olive oil into a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chicken stock, chicken meat and skin, and vegetables. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are mostly cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make noodles.
Add vegetable bouillon, chicken bouillon, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir sliced and rested noodles into soup and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, or until noodles are tender and vegetables are cooked through. Serve.
Note: If using canned stock or broth instead of homemade stock, choose the one with lowest sodium content and cut down on the bouillon cubes.