- 1 package broccoli slaw mix
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons red salsa
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pound cod, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas
- Accompaniments: avocado slices, sliced radish, guacamole and lime wedges
In a medium bowl, toss the broccoli slaw, cilantro, 1/4 cup salsa and salt to taste. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and remaining 3 tablespoons salsa. Set both aside.
In a shallow dish, whisk together the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon salt. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with a fork. Coat the fish slices in the cornmeal, then in the egg, then in the cornmeal again, and place on a plate.
In a medium cast-iron or other heavy skillet, pour the oil to a depth of 11/2 inches and heat over medium heat until the surface ripples, about 2 minutes. Add about a third of the fish slices to the skillet and cook, turning once, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining fish slices.
In a large skillet or oven, warm the tortillas. Spread about 1 teaspoon sour cream sauce on a tortilla, then top with a few pieces of fish and a heaping spoonful of the broccoli slaw and fold over. Repeat with the remaining tacos. Makes 8 tacos.