- Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel
- 10 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 11/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place six 3/4-cup souffle dishes on baking sheet. Mash sugar and lime zest in small bowl. Stir chopped chocolate in medium bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted. Remove from over water; whisk in yolks, 2 tablespoons lime-sugar, and salt (mixture will become thick). Beat egg whites in large bowl to soft peaks; add 2 tablespoons lime-sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Whisk 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture to lighten; fold in remaining whites in 2 additions. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill dishes with souffle mixture, dividing equally. Bake until softly set and puffed, about 14 minutes. Do not overbake.
Meanwhile, whip cream, lime juice and 4 tablespoons lime-sugar to firm peaks in medium bowl.
Top souffles with cream. Sprinkle with more lime-sugar.
Makes 6 souffles.
Per serving: 583 calories; 40 g fat (23 g saturated fat; 61 percent calories from fat); 59 g carbohydrates; 232 mg cholesterol; 119 mg sodium; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber.
20 minutes to make; 14 minutes to bake