This Tomato Olive Relish seasoned with capers, basil and rosemary adds a burst of color and layers of flavor to a simple grilled entree. This recipe is quite practical for summertime entertaining since it can be doubled or tripled easily when you are having a crowd. From Betty Rosbottom of Tribune Media Services.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (7 to 8 ounces each)
- Tomato Olive Relish:
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut lengthwise into thin slivers, but not seeded
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, cut lengthwise into thin slivers
- 11/2 tablespoons drained capers
- 11/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed (see note)
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, soy sauce, garlic and salt in a large, shallow nonreactive dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
While the chicken is marinating prepare the Tomato Olive Relish. Combine the ingredients in a medium, non-reactive serving bowl and mix well. (Relish can be prepared 3 hours ahead; cover and leave at cool room temperature.) Makes about 13/4 cup.
Oil a grill rack and arrange it 4 to 5 inches from heat source. Prepare grill for a hot fire (high temperature). Remove chicken from marinade. Grill until chicken springs back when touched and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a sharp knife, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (Internal temperature should be 170 degrees.)
Arrange cooked chicken on serving platter and season generously with salt. Spoon some of the Tomato Olive Relish over the breasts. Pass any remaining relish separately.
Note: To crush fennel seeds, place in a self-sealing bag and pound with a meat pounder or rolling pin, or crush with a mortar and pestle, or grind them coarsely, using a small electric spice mill.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 322 calories; 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 34 percent calories from fat); 3 g carbohydrates; 132 mg cholesterol; 536 mg sodium; 49 g protein; 1 g fiber.