- Corn bread:
- 1 (6-ounce) package buttermilk corn-bread mix
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Shaved Parmesan
- Pine nuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 10-inch cast-iron skillet and place in preheating oven. Combine corn-bread mix, grated Parmesan and water in medium bowl. Stir until smooth. Remove skillet from oven and pour mixture into hot skillet. Return to oven and bake at 450 degrees for 10-13 minutes or until dark golden brown. Turn out onto cooling rack and let cool 10-15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. With serrated knife, cut corn bread into 1-inch cubes. Place in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, olives and basil leaves in large bowl. Sprinkle with olive oil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine. Add corn bread and toss gently. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and pine nuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Per serving: 420 calories; 27 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 58 percent calories from fat); 30 g carbohydrates; 27 mg cholesterol; 724 mg sodium; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber.