Recipe from Food & Wine.
- 2 pounds seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed, plus 1/2 pound watermelon cut into balls with a melon baller and skewered on picks
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 6 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces Cointreau or other triple sec
- 4 ounces Citrus Syrup (see below)
In a blender, puree the watermelon cubes. Pour through a fine strainer into a pitcher. Add the white wine, vodka, Cointreau and Citrus Syrup. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Stir again, then pour the sangria into ice-filled white wine glasses and garnish with the skewered watermelon balls.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- One 2-inch lemon zest strip
- One 2-inch orange zest strip
In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil, simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the lemon and orange zest strips. Let cool, then refrigerate overnight. Strain the syrup into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Serves 8.
Per serving: 232 calories; 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat; 4 percent calories from fat); 22 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 8 mg sodium; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber.