Recipe courtesy of chef Aquiles Chavez, Houston, for Avocados From Mexico.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped white onion, divided
- 1 dried Avocado and Queso Fresco Enfrijoladasl (see note)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 fully ripened avocados from Mexico, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup 1/4-inch cubes queso fresco or mild feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup thinly sliced white onion
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional garnish
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add 1/4 cup of the onion and the chile de arbol; cook, stirring constantly, until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, coarsely mash the avocados. Stir in cheese, remaining 1/2 cup onion, the cilantro, Serrano chile, salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot; add a tortilla and warm 30 to 60 seconds on each side. Remove tortilla to work surface and spoon about 1/3 cup avocado filling onto center in a crosswise mound. Roll sides of tortilla over filling and set aside fold side down. Repeat to use all of filling and make 8 rolls.
Remove chile from chicken broth. In a blender, combine beans and broth; blend until smooth. Return to saucepan and bring just to a boil, about 5 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup bean sauce.
Divide remaining sauce among 4 plates. Place 2 rolls on the sauce on each plate; drizzle remaining sauce over rolls. Top with onion, crumbled cheese and chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Note: Chile de árbol is a small and potent Mexican chili pepper. The peppers are a bright red when mature, about 2-3 inches and can be found fresh, dried or powdered.
Per serving: 572 calories; 37 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 58 percent calories from fat); 53 g carbohydrates; 42 mg cholesterol; 1,003 mg sodium; 18 g protein; 14 g fiber.