Recipe from “Salads: Beyond the Bowl” by Mindy Fox. Gently poaching the garlic in oil softens both the bite and the bulb, and gives the oil a subtle garlic flavor. Frisee is a member of the chickory family and has slender, curly, light green leaves.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup very good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, gently smashed and peeled
- Four 1-inch-thick slices rustic country bread, grilled or toasted
- 1/2 pound frisée (curly greens)
- 2 packed cups baby spinach
- 1 1/4 packed cups mixed herb leaves, like mint, basil, cilantro and chives
- 3 radishes, very thinly sliced
- Flaky coarse sea salt
Make the base for the dressing: In a medium bowl, stir together the lemon juice, shallot, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt and a generous pinch of pepper. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine the 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil and garlic and gently heat over very low heat until the oil is fragrant and the garlic is softened, about 5 minutes (tilt the pan, if necessary, to keep the garlic cloves submerged in the oil, and remove the pan from the heat from time to time to keep the garlic from coloring). Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.
Put the grilled bread on a large plate and drizzle with the infused oil from the saucepan, then spread the garlic cloves on top. Tear the frisée into bite-sized pieces and combine in a bowl with the spinach, herbs and radishes. While whisking the reserved lemon juice mixture, add the 1/4 cup very good oil in a slow and steady stream. Vigorously whisk to emulsify, then drizzle
the dressing over the salad. Toss the salad to combine. Season with several pinches of flaky coarse sea salt and toss once more. Divide the salad among 4 serving plates. Tuck the breads among the greens.
Per serving: 408 calories; 35 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 70 percent calories from fat); 21 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 549 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber.