From Susan Russo.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 1/4 cups drained roasted red peppers
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- A couple of pinches of salt
In a small pan over medium-low heat, warm olive oil. Add red pepper flakes and sliced garlic, and saute until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it, as it can burn quickly! Remove from heat.
Grind almonds in a food processor. Add garlic-oil, roasted red peppers, vinegar and a pinch of salt. Process until a thick sauce forms. Taste, and salt as desired. Cover and refrigerate, but bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes just over 1 cup or 8 servings.
Per serving (per 2 tablespoons): 93 calories; 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 77 percent calories from fat); 4 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 286 mg sodium; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber.