The radishes available from VanHoutte Farms are huge but tender and sweet. Fresh mint is available in small pots from several greenhouse growers at the Royal Oak market so you can choose the variety that best suits your taste. This quick dish from “Vegetable Love” is given an unexpected jolt by the ginger.
- 21/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 11/2 cups pastina (8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 11/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 11/2 cups sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup diagonally sliced scallions
Bring 2 quarts water and the salt to a boil in a large pot. Stir in the pastina and cook for 2 minutes. Pour the pastina into a fine-mesh strainer, rinse under cold running water and shake several times to rid the pastina of excess water. Remove to a large bowl.
Mix together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Toss the pastina with 2 tablespoons dressing. Let stand for 30 minutes to an hour. Fluff from time to time with a fork to prevent compacting.
Just before serving, add the radishes, scallions and remaining dressing to the salad. Toss well and serve. Makes 5 cups; serves 6 as a first course.
Per serving: 245 calories; 13 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 48 percent calories from fat); 31 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 430 mg sodium; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber.