Recipe from Noelle Carter.
- 11/2 pounds apricots (6 to 8)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, depending on the sweetness of the apricots
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 2 tablespoons almond liqueur
- Prepared galette dough (see recipe)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup raspberries, if desired
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
1. Cut each apricot into 6 to 8 wedges, discarding the pits. Combine the apricots with the granulated sugar and almond extract in a work bowl and toss well to mix.
2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator to a flat surface lined with a lightly floured sheet of parchment. Roll the dough into a rough circle about 15 inches in diameter and a generous 1/8-inch thick. Transfer the dough (still on the parchment) to a baking sheet.
3. Gently stir in the sliced almonds and raspberries with the apricots. Spoon the apricot mixture into the center of the dough. Fold the outer 3 inches of the dough circle toward the center to make a packet, leaving the inner 4 or 5 inches of apricots uncovered (the assembled galette will be about 9 inches in diameter). Lightly brush the pastry with the beaten egg, then scatter the coarse sugar over the apricots and pastry.
4. Bake until the crust is golden-brown and the apricots are softened, about 45 minutes. Start checking the galette after 30 minutes, and loosely cover the fruit with a sheet of foil if they color too quickly. Cool the galette 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 374 calories; 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat; 48 percent calories from fat); 43 g carbohydrates; 54 mg cholesterol; 303 mg sodium; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber.