From Amarjit Randhawa; India Mahal, indiamahal.com.
- 1/2 cup whole Urad daal (black lentils)
- 1/2 cup whole Munghi daal (green mung beans)
- 2 tablespoons Red Rajma (red kidney beans)
- 1/4 cup Chana daal (yellow lentils)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Red chili powder and salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped cilantro leaves to garnish
Mix all daals (beans and lentils) together and wash well.
Put daals in a pot and add water, salt to taste and turmeric powder.
Cook on high heat to boil and then cook daal until soft, about 45-50 minutes on medium heat.
In a pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds, garlic and ginger pastes and fry until light brown. Add onions and fry until golden brown. Then add tomatoes and fry till soft. Then add masala and chili powder and fry for just a moment.
Add cooked daal and stir on medium heat. Remove from heat when it boils. Add butter and garnish daal with cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with naan, roti, paratha (flat breads) and rice.
Per serving: 349 calories; 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 36 percent calories from fat); 45 g carbohydrates; 16 mg cholesterol; 224 mg sodium; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber.