From “Sunset Edible Garden Cookbook” (Oxmoor House).
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cups each loosely packed basil, mint and cilantro
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1/2 serrano chili, thinly sliced
- 3 cups honeydew or Galia melon wedges
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook just until they turn opaque and curl up, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Toss shrimp, herbs, onion, chili and melon together in a large bowl. Mix together the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce, then pour over salad. Toss salad gently, then top with cashews.
Per serving: 177 calories; 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 30 percent calories from fat); 17 g carbohydrates; 110 mg cholesterol; 684 mg sodium; 15 g protein; 2 g fiber.