This recipe is great to make a day in advance, so the flavors have more time to meld. Enjoy with a thick slice of grilled country bread rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil. From “I Love Corn” by Lisa Skye/Andrews McMeel Publishing.
- 2 small ears corn, unhusked
- 1 medium-size tomato, seeded and chopped (preferably Jersey fresh)
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 large unpeeled cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced white onion
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Preheat the grill to 325 degrees.
Grill the ears of corn with the husks on for 10 to 15 minutes or until the husks are burned, turning every 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the ears from the grill and let them cool.
Remove and discard the husks and then slice the kernels from the cobs. Measure 1 cup and either discard the rest or set it aside for another use.
Combine all the ingredients, except the basil, in a large bowl and stir until mixed together. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
To serve, ladle the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with the minced basil leaves. Serves 4.
Per serving: 91 calories; 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat; 10 percent calories from fat); 20 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 674 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber.