Fresh cilantro, cashews and shredded cabbage bring a host of flavors and textures to this salad. The recipe calls for a homemade vinaigrette, which is simple to put together. From Martha Stewart.
- For the dressing:
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves and soft stems
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- For the salad:
- 1 rotisserie chicken (about 21/2 pounds), skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 medium red cabbage (8 ounces), cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup cashews
Make dressing: In a blender, combine cilantro, lime juice and oil; season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Make salad: In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, bell pepper and scallions; season with salt and pepper. In another large bowl, toss lettuce with 1/2 cup dressing. Divide among four bowls, and top with chicken mixture. Drizzle all with remaining dressing, and sprinkle with cashews.
Per serving: 523 calories; 30 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 52 percent calories from fat); 17 g carbohydrates; 124 mg cholesterol; 334 mg sodium; 49 g protein; 6 g fiber.