A dressing powered by orange juice, fresh mint and cilantro, cayenne pepper and cinnamon mingles with cooked rice (white or brown, your choice), chicken, shredded carrots and scallions in this refreshingly different salad. Can be served warm, cold or at room temperature. Its lack of mayonnaise makes it a great potluck or picnic offering. From Eating Well.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine rice, chicken, carrots, scallions and olives in a large bowl. Whisk together broth, orange juice, lemon juice, mint, cilantro, oil, cinnamon, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste in another bowl. Toss dressing with rice mixture.
Per serving: 307 calories; 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 26 percent calories from fat); 32 g carbohydrates; 63 mg cholesterol; 267 mg sodium; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber.