- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and julienned
- 3 cups thinly sliced white cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
In a large bowl, gently combine ground beef, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, mint, salt and pepper. In a small skillet, saute a small spoonful of the beef mixture over medium heat until no longer pink. Taste and adjust the seasoning of the beef mixture with salt and pepper, if necessary. Roll beef mixture into walnut-sized balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion; saute until softened, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, cabbage and oregano; saute until tomatoes start to break down, about 3 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add meatballs, reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro and vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
Ladle into heated bowls. Serves 6.
Per serving: 314 calories; 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 52 percent calories from fat); 14 g carbohydrates; 94 mg cholesterol; 668 mg sodium; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber.