Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 1 can kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound beef chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ cups water
- 2 141/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- 3 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled, seeded butternut squash
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green, yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 11/4 cups frozen corn kernels or 2 ears fresh corn kernels
- 2/3 cup shelled pepitas, toasted
- Fresh lime for garnish
Roast squash until tender and lightly brown. Meanwhile, sauté chorizo in heavy, large pot over medium heat until cooked through and fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Transfer chorizo to paper towels; drain, leaving 2 tablespoons drippings in pot. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add 3 cups water, broth and beans; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until beans are tender, 1 hour.
Add squash to soup. Cover; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in bell peppers, corn and chorizo; simmer uncovered about 10 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, set aside 2 tablespoons pepitas for garnish. Blend remaining pepitas in blender until finely ground. Stir ground pepitas into soup. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with reserved pepitas, a squeeze of lime and crumbled cheese and serve. Serves 6.
Per serving: 489 calories; 30 g fat (9 g saturated fat; 55 percent calories from fat); 38 g carbohydrates; 36 mg cholesterol; 1,056 mg sodium; 26 g protein; 10 g fiber.