Recipe from Epicurious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 11/2 cups chopped white onion
- 11/4 pounds carrots, peeled, diced, plus 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 33/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 3/4 cup diced peeled fuji apple plus 1/2 cup finely diced (for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 41/2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Coarse kosher salt
- Chopped fresh mint
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add all carrots, broth, 3/4 cup apple, and ginger; bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat; simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove carrot halves; dice finely. Puree soup in batches in blender; return to pan. Mix in apple juice and spices. Season with coarse salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with finely diced carrot, finely diced apple and mint. Serves 6.
Per serving: 158 calories; 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 34 percent calories from fat); 23 g carbohydrates; 3 mg cholesterol; 286 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber.