From “Sausage” by Nichola Fletcher
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 ounces Spanish chorizo, in small cubes
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (24-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 quart hot vegetable stock
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Heat half the oil in a large, heavy pan. Add the chorizo, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until it begins to turn crispy. Remove and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in the celery, carrots and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until tender.
Add the tomato sauce, stock and chickpeas, and simmer for 15 minutes. Return the chorizo to the pan, then taste and season again if needed. Stir through the cilantro and serve.
Per serving: 285 calories; 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 44 percent calories from fat); 30 g carbohydrates; 20 mg cholesterol; 1,015 mg sodium; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber.