Recipe adapted from “Ninja Cooking System Cookbook.” If you don’t have the Ninja, use a wok or skillet.
- 1/2 pound Chinese sausage links (or any pork sausage)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 package (about 3.5 ounces) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
Stir brown sugar and cornstarch in bowl. Add water, vinegar and soy sauce, and stir until smooth.
Pour oil into pot. Place over high heat or turn Ninja to stovetop high and heat oil. Add sausage and cook until brown. Add shrimp, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook uncovered 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and bell pepper. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in vinegar mixture. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions.
Serve shrimp mixture over hot cooked rice or rice noodles. Serves 4.
Per serving: 220 calories; 4 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat; 16 percent calories from fat); 29 g carbohydrates; 1,130 mg sodium; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber.