These gorgeous cupcakes have a sweet surprise inside: They’re filled with a dollop of raspberry jam. Half of the cupcakes have a pale yellow lemon glaze; the rest are topped with a pink raspberry-lemon glaze. Recipe from Bon Appetit.
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 3 teaspoons lemon peel in large bowl until blended, then beat until fluffy and pale yellow. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Beat in half of flour. Add buttermilk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat to blend. Beat in remaining flour.
Drop 1 rounded tablespoonful batter into each muffin liner. Spoon 1 teaspoon raspberry jam over. Cover with remaining batter, dividing equally.
Bake cupcakes until tester inserted halfway into centers comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan on rack. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel in small bowl. Spoon half of icing over 6 cupcakes. Whisk 1 tablespoon raspberry jam into remaining icing. Spoon over remaining cupcakes. Let stand until icing sets, about 30 minutes. Garnish with raspberries.
Yield: Makes 12.
Per serving: 314 calories; 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 37 percent calories from fat); 46 g carbohydrates; 69 mg cholesterol; 213 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber.
Here are some baking tips to keep in mind:
1. Use an oven thermometer for proper oven temperature so the cupcakes bake for the correct time.
2. Have all ingredients at room temperature for best texture.
3. Don’t overmix the batter or you will have heavy, dense cupcakes.
4. Use a good quality 12-well cupcake pan.
5. Use either paper or foil liners for easy removal. You can also spray the wells with vegetable oil.
6. Fill your cupcakes with a 2 tablespoon ice cream scoop for best results.
7. Make sure the cupcakes are at room temperature before frosting them.