Recipe from Chris Macias, Sacramento Bee.
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 apple (pippin, Granny Smith or Gala), peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided (1 cup for compote, 1/4 cup for cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons brandy
Add all ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan, except 1/4 cup water, cornstarch and brandy. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup cold water with the cornstarch and whisk into the compote. Whisk until it thickens. Add the brandy and simmer for 1 more minute. Remove cinnamon stick. Serves 8.
Per serving: 118 calories; 0 g fat (0 g saturated fat; 0 percent calories from fat); 25 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 1 mg sodium; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber.