- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 (26-ounce) bottles (4 cups) favorite marinara tomato sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 1/2 bag (about 3 ounces) arugula leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl combine the cheeses together and mix to blend.
Heat a large, deep casserole over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the sausage meat, breaking up the meat with a spoon as it cooks, for about 5 minutes or until no pinkness remains. Drain off most of the fat. Add the mushrooms and saute an additional 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the tomato sauce and red peppers, and simmer on medium heat another 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the cream, salt and pepper, and mix to combine. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Reserve.
Meanwhile, add salt to large pot of boiling water. Add pasta and cook over high heat, about 10 to 11 minutes or until al dente. Drain well.
Combine the pasta with the sauce in the pot and add 1 cup of the blended cheese and arugula leaves, mixing well to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and evenly sprinkle the remaining blended cheese on top of the pasta.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until the casserole begins to bubble and the cheese is browned. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 540 calories; 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 40 percent calories from fat); 56 g carbohydrates; 63 mg cholesterol; 913 mg sodium; 25 g protein; 3 g fiber.