From The Henry Ford Executive Chef Michael Trombley, based on a George Washington Carver recipe. The original was slightly modified to include grapes, sour cream, lemon juice and carrot. Chopped parsley could also make a great addition.
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, coarse chop
- 2 cups sour apples, medium dice (such as Granny Smith)
- 2 cups celery, fine slice
- 1/2 cup grapes cut in half
- 1/4 cup carrots cut julienne
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Butter lettuce leaves for lining plates
Toast nuts in an oven proof pan at 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stir once and let cool.
Prepare and gather apples, celery, grapes and carrots. In a large bowl mix mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon, salt and pepper.
Add peanuts, apples, celery, grapes and carrots to bowl and mix.
Line 6 plates with butter lettuce and top with the mixed peanut apple salad, and enjoy. Serves 6.
Per serving: 400 calories; 36 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 81 percent calories from fat); 17 g carbohydrates; 20 mg cholesterol; 588 mg sodium; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber.