Recipe from Martha Stewart Living. This tart can be refrigerated up to 3 days.
- For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the lemon curd:
- 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest, plus 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the crust: Whisk together flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the lemon zest in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers until dough begins to hold together.
Stir together 1 tablespoon water and vanilla, then mix into dough. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Using your fingers, press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Bake tart shell until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the lemon curd: Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Whisk in lemon zest and juice. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time.
Pour filling into cooled tart shell. Bake until filling is browned, slightly puffed, and set, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Serves 8.
Per serving: 336 calories; 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat; 67 percent calories from fat); 25 g carbohydrates; 190 mg cholesterol; 22 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 0.5 g fiber.