1. I hope, for their sake – and because teams that can’t afford much also can’t afford to make stupid spending mistakes – that the Oakland Athletics haven’t blundered in signing Yoenis Cespedes to a four-year contract worth $36 million.
It’s another reminder of just how mammoth Prince Fielder’s contract is, however, when you figure that Cespedes’ dollar amount multiplied by SIX is about what Fielder will get from the Tigers.
So do we say he signed for a “paltry” $36 million?
2. I hope Johnny Damon gets a job. I like him as a player and a person.
But the thing is he needs two more years, not one, of playing a lot to get to 3,000 hits – and if he’s having this much trouble squeezing another season out of someone, two will be a stretch.
3. I hope Gerald Laird is as talkative as ever.
That, of course, is the beat writer in me liking players who have a lot to say.
But I think the Tigers would like it if he talked less than the first time around.
4. I hope we’re scratching our heads in unison about the Pittsburgh Pirates wanting A.J. Burnett.
5. I hope we agree that after “I Will Always Love You”, Whitney Houston’s best song was “One Moment in Time.”
What a voice.