1. Octavio Dotel’s control implosion, of course.
2. Miguel Cabrera’s would-be RBI single turning into a weird double-play in the third.
3. Former Tiger Charlie Furbush winning a bases-loaded showdown vs. Cabrera, who grounded out to third in the seventh.
4. The Tigers had nine hits, but it wasn’t an impressive offensive night for them.
5. Taking Doug Fister out after 73 pitches?
That could be one of your reasons, but even if Fister had pitched a scoreless eighth, as Phil Coke did, the Tigers would have used a closer in the ninth.
And that closer, with right-handed hitter Brendan Ryan leading off the inning – and with Jose Valverde and Joaquin Benoit getting the night off – probably would have been Dotel.