From Arlington, Texas
1. The Tigers’ catcher said he was nervous about the results of the MRI he underwent on Monday – and more than that, manager Jim Leyland admitted before the game he was worried.
2. But the findings are that there is no structural damage to the knee, just recurring patellar tendinitis – which obviously gets severe enough from time to time for Avila to have to sit.
3. “He probably won’t catch as much as we expected him to,” said Leyland.
But, still, it’s a situation that won’t prevent Avila from playing.
No DL, in other words.
4. Nice game for Rick Porcello, who lasted only one nightmarish inning against Texas at Comerica Park on April 21.
This time: One run on six hits in six innnings, the same line as in his victory here on June 7 last year.
Biggest difference: Seven strikeouts this time, instead of two a year ago.
5. Long game in the heat, though.
No doubt the Rangers felt it more than the Tigers.
The top of the first in 100 degrees lasted 23 minutes – as the Tigers scored five runs.