As reported on PR Newswire, the fact-based consulting and research firm Technomic weighed in on the Top 10 Adult Beverage Trends for 2013. The report was carried at the blog Wine Industry Insight. What’s coming up next year? We’re still going to be drinking sweeter wines — and better beers. Let me paraphrase:
1. More sweet tastes — that includes red wine blends, Moscato and pink sparking wines.
2. Longer beer lists at high-end restaurants.
3. New-level ciders now that hard cider is catching on — including flavored varieties.
4. Unexpected flavors in unexpected places: More flavored vodkas … and whiskies, rums and tequilas.
5. Next-level retailing: In-store sampling thanks to new laws, and more hand-selling of products and customer service. Stores will focus on more eclectic spirits, wine and beer, plus growler filling stations in groceries.
6. More attention to mixers, juice, flavorings, purees, bitters in making cocktails.
7. Innovative dispensing systems for spirits and cocktails in restaurants, along with keg wines.
8. Digital drinks: Wine, beer and cocktail lists presented on digital tablets in bars and restaurants, plus smartphone apps and kiosks to help with researching drinks.
9. More beergardens — indoors and out. Large open spaces are preferred for beer, food and socializing.
10. Whiskey attracts a younger crowd including women with flavors and other variations.
Read the full report.