Kendall-Jackson Pinot Gris: A dry white to tease the senses

Vintner's-Reserve-Pinot-Gris-Non-vintage[1]KENDALL-JACKSON winemakers must have had fun putting this white wine puzzle together. It’s labeled Pinot Gris, which means the wine must be at least 75 percent of this grape variety to be called that. Kendall-Jackson finished the remaining 25 percent with the kitchen sink: Chardonnay, three Rhone varietals including Viognier, plus Albarino, Muscat and more.  Let’s just say this creative blending offers layers of flavor. It’s perfect as an aperitif or poured with seafood or chicken.

Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Pinot Gris 2015, $15: Think dry and tart-crisp with tons of flavor. It offers the drying, bitter taste of the white pith layer beneath the skin of citrus along with flavors of tart grapefruit, honeydew melon and tangerine with a kiss of herbs and floral notes. See what I mean? The kitchen sink. It works. And it’s unoaked.

Note: If you want to learn more about wine labeling in the U.S., check out this graphic from the government.

You can reach Sandra Silfven at ssilfven@hotmail.com.